Vaciseva Tavaga is one of Fiji’s and the South Pacific’s most outstanding women athletes’ with her sporting achievements spanning more than 13 years.
Her accomplishments include:
- 1989 – South Pacific Mini Games: Bronze 100m, Silver 200m
- 1990 – Oceania Athletics Championships: 3 Bronze 100m, 4x100m, 4x400m
- 1991 – IAAF World Championships, Tokyo: represented Fiji in the 200m and 400m
- 1991 – South Pacific Games: Gold 200m, Silver 400m
- 1992 – Olympic Games, Barcelona 100m and 200m
- 1993 – South Pacific Mini Games: Gold 100m and 200m
- 1994 – Oceania Athletics Championships: Gold 100m, 200m, 4x100m and 4x400m Relays
- 1995 – South Pacific Games: Gold 100m, 200m, Silver 400m
- 1997 – South Pacific Mini Games: Silver 100m, Bronze 200m
- 2002 – Commonwealth Games, Manchester: 100m, 4x100m Relay
From 1991 to 1995 Vaciseva was the region’s Sprint Queen, winning Gold at every regional Athletics meet including both Pacific and Oceania competitions in the 100m and 200m events.
Her personal best time for the 100m is 11.6s and in the 200m 24.07s.
For her achievements, Vaciseva was recognised by winning the Sportswoman of the Year award in both 1991 and 1995.
Today Vaciseva is still involved in sports and works as a gym and fitness instructor giving back and helping others maintain physical fitness.
In recognition of her performances, FASANOC is delighted to induct Vaciseva Tavaga into the Fiji Sports of Hall.