The following selection criteria have been endorsed by the Athletics Fiji in selecting its team for the 2022 11th Pacific Mini Games in Saipan, Northern Marianas.
ATHLETES ELIGIBILITY UNDER THE GAMES CHARTER
To be eligible for Team Fiji selection an athlete must:
- Hold a Fiji passport and lived in Fiji for a minimum of 5 years, (Foreign passport holders cannot be members of Team Fiji)
- Athletes will be selected based on them satisfying the set criteria by the deadline of April 19th 2022.
- All performances must be achieved during the weekly AF competitions, Oceania Games and other competitions listed on AF calendar.
- All performances must be achieved during competitions organized and sanctioned by the World Athletics, its Area Association or it National Federation. Thus the National Federation in which the competition was organized must certify any other results achieved at other competitions.
- All results must be verified and signed by the meet director of that particular competition and sent to Athletics Fiji for verification before the closing date as stipulated by Team Fiji.
- All overseas based athletes intending to be part of the Athletics Team to the 2022 Pacific Mini Games must submit results of competition and training plan to AF every week so that their progress could be closely monitored by the National Federation.
- All athletes selected for individual events must make themselves available for team/relay competition if required.
- All Athletes that have qualified under A or B standard may be considered in the Fiji Team. If more than 3 athletes have qualified, the top 3 athletes will be considered.
- If no athlete has qualified under A standard for any event, only one athlete that has qualified under B Standard will be considered.
- Each athlete must achieve the qualifying standard at least twice in the period stated except for the Marathon & Multi Event, which is to be achieved once.
- Athletes who have achieved the qualifying standard must compete and participate in all official AF competitions, unless prior permission arrangements have been made to miss a competition.
- Athletes will be evaluated for their attendance and participation at:
Fiji National Championships (Compulsory) 15-16/4/22 Athletics Fiji Trials 5/2/22, 12/3/22, 15-16/4/22
- Athletes selected must be of good standing with Athletics Fiji and FASANOC
- Any athlete coached by overseas coach/coaches must update the AF team management monthly of training schedules and competition plans
- An athlete must attain the required qualifying standard (as indicated below) during the 2022 athletics season before they can be considered for selection into the Athletics Fiji Team to the 2022 Pacific Mini Games.
- Once the athlete achieves the qualifying standard he/she must demonstrate their potential to perform consistently at the required standard. The selectors will determine this by the quality of the athlete’s back up performances. “Quality” means a performance close to the qualifying standard and that they are on target to achieve their peak performance during the Games.
- An athlete must demonstrate that they are capable of performing and behaving with distinction at an international meeting. Selectors will closely monitor the athlete’s progress from the time they achieved the qualifying standard prior to the final team selection.
- All athletes selected must demonstrate in the month prior to the Games that they are fully fit and free of any injuries. Any injured athlete must produce a clearance letter from the FASANOC Medical Commission to state that they are medically fit to compete at the highest possible level.
- All athletes selected must meet the eligibility rules as stated in the Pacific Games Charter.
- Priority will be given to the athletes who do not play other sports competitively once selected into the squad.
- All athletes must meet the Covid 19 Vaccination Criteria as per FASANOC Vaccination Policy.
- Final selection will be made on merit taking into consideration regional standards, athlete development and meeting the objectives of AF and Team Fiji.
ATHLETICS FIJI QUALIFYING STANDARDS
2022 11th Pacific Mini Games NORTHERN MARIANAS
|MEN SPRINTS/HURDLES||“A STANDARD”||“B STANDARD”|
|MARATHON||2hrs 20.0||2hrs 35.0|
|HALF MARATHON||1hr 14 .0||1hr 16.0|
|20KM 50km||1hr: 52.0||1hr:55.0|
|SPRINTS/HURDLES||“A” STANDARD||“B” STANDARD|
|MIDDLE DISTANCE 800M||2:20.0min||2:24:0min|
|LONG DISTANCE 5000M||19:00.0min||20:00.0min|
|HALF MARATHON||1hr 36min||1hr 45min|
|JUMPING EVENTS LONG JUMP||5.50m||5.40m|
|THROWING EVENTS SHOT PUT||12.00m||11.50m|
Athletes must be declared medically fit by the Team Fiji medical team. All scheduled medical tests are mandatory for both athletes and officials. First Medical 1 February 2022 & Final Medicals 28-29 May 2022.
All athletes will be required to sign the FASANOC Athlete Agreement Form and the Athletics Fiji Agreement Form which requires them to be disciplined and abide by acceptable codes of behaviour required at international level.
CHARACTER AND DISCIPLINE
Athletes must demonstrate the necessary discipline and commitment required at elite level to enable them to excel and achieve their personal best at international competitions. Issues of importance:
- Professional conduct in all contexts
- Team commitment and national pride
- Competitive but humble attitude
- Positive attitude towards their sports and TF
- Controllable temperament
Athletics Fiji will follow the competition calendar and results to gauge the athletes’ fitness and
Athletes must meet a requirement attendance of 75-80% and upon selection of the final team 90- 100%. A daily attendance record will be kept. Team records of attendance to be included in the final team submission.
Athletes must attend all scheduled trials as follows:
- First Trials 5th February 2022
- Second Trials 12th March 2022
- Final Trials 15 -16th April 2022
The Trial Results must be properly recorded and included in the final team submission.
Athletics is judged by time, distance, height and have established the standards for qualification. Athletics Fiji will follow the qualifying standards provided in this Criteria of Selection for qualification. Athletics has set an “A” and “B” qualification standard. If there is no “A” qualifier then “B” qualifiers will be considered alongside the other criteria.
- Any athlete who may wish to appeal his/her non-selection in the final Team shall do so in writing within forty eight hours of the announcement by FASANOC of the names. All such appeals shall be lodged in writing with FASANOC at 17 Bau Street, Suva.
- Any athlete appealing his/her non selection as a member of TEAM FIJI will do so on the explicit understanding that the decision of the FASANOC Appeals Tribunal is final and binding on all parties. He/she further agrees that he/she will not personally, or allow anyone else on his/her behalf to, enter into any argument either verbally or in writing, through the internet or any other media.
Filimoni V Waqa
President Athletics Fiji